Saturday, January 15, 2011

Falling Down Tired

Ok, so, it's been a long time since you've heard anything from me.  It's been rough 'round these parts.  We had Christmas, then New Years followed closely by theDav's birthday. (He's really old, he doesn't like to talk about it.)  So I've been putting headless chickens to shame for the last few weeks.  This may be the first time that I've actually sat down this year!  Ok maybe that was a bit much, but I have been very busy.  Need more evidence?  Well there's the fact that I'm exhausted, even when I'm asleep, I'm still tired.  The fact that yesterday while watching The Lion King with DaeDae, I couldn't remember the words to "Can you feel the love tonight."  Oh and one more thing, my hair is falling out! 

If you are or have ever met a woman before then you know what a huge deal that is.  Every time I wash my hair there is a small furby sitting in the sink bowl taunting me.  There's hair on the walls, and hair in the brush, in the comb and hair in the rugs.  Basically there is hair everywhere except on my head.  I like hair a lot better on my head.  I have a use for it there.  No, it's not your normal everyday uses either.  If you must know I've been growing my hair out for a very special moment in the (hopefully) near future when theDav and I will be on an island vacation.  I plan to swim on that island and I happen to need long, luscious locks for my "bond girl up out of the water scene."  But at the rate I'm going I'll be putting just as much baby oil on my head as anything else.  Not exactly the look I was going for. 

I've tried all of my usual damaged hair revitalization techniques.  So far the only growth I'm seeing is in the amount of under cabinet clutter in our master bathroom.  I have bottles upon jars of miracle cures that have obviously never read the gospel accounts of Jesus because I'm still on the road to bald.  This is very scary for me, I mean, I'm an honest girl so I can say, honestly, that I don't have the head to pull off short hair.  Due to circumstances beyond my control, my head is slightly large, er, than some other people's may be.  I wouldn't say abnormally so but I would have to give myself the 57-60th percentile, if I was being honest, and I am.  But hey, you can't work around a problem if you pretend that it isn't there.  So since I was five years old the shortest I've ever gone is a tapered bob.  That was in the eighth grade and growing it out was awful!  But I have to do something drastic and the deadline to act passed weeks ago.  

I'm too much of a fraidy cat to just do the big chop without obsessing for at least 2-36 months.  TheDav suggested micros which I'm just as afraid of because of the in/out process AND I'm not sure if I want to commit to braids right now.  So I've been toying with the idea of a weave.  My heart pounds at the thought.  Ok you want the whole truth and nothing but it?  My plan when this whole hair loss fiasco started was to get weaves until I grew my perm out!  Yup, I was going natural.  Then it rained and I was no longer going natural but still going bald.  A friend suggested maybe I was over working my hair.  I thought, strong possibility, I know tons about being overworked.  So, in a nutshell, I'm trying to decide how to give my hair a "rest."  When I do, my body will be jealous. 

3 comments:

  1. I too, am going natural. Difference is my hair is already short. I'm not an expert, but I do know that the more stress you put on your hair the weaker it becomes. So braid or weaves or anything of that sort isn't necessarily the best thing to do. I'd say try to find a stylist in the area who truly specializes in natural hair, relaxed or natural. He/she should be able to tell you the best thing to do. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep deprivation and anxiety will also contribute to hair loss. I say give it time until, you know, the baby will sleep through the night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the normal post-baby hormonal shedding. The severity can be different after each pregnancy - sometimes you barely notice, other times it seems much worse. It will subside soon. Keep taking your prenatal vitamins and eat your veggies. Have the hubs massage your scalp gently a few times a week. It will all grow back.

    ReplyDelete