Sunday, December 5, 2010

Save money, Live better.

    There are tons of things that I'm not usually willing to admit.  Like the fact that I am hyper sensitive.  Or that I'm still slightly scared of old people.  But there is one thing that theDav accuses me of that I'm finally ready to confront.  Ok, here it goes. . . 
    Sometimes Walmart, The Children's Place, Dollar Tree, stores can turn me into a shopaholic.  Especially around this time of year.  It's not uncommon to hear TheDav ask "how did we end up with (insert name of random item here)."  It's not as if I'm racking up debt or anything I'm a super duper bargain shopper.  Not only do I find great deals but I keep all of my receipts, all of em.  So stores beware if I buy something from you and I find it (or a comparable item) at another store for less within 90 days of purchase date, you can meet me at the customer service desk please and thank you!
    I enjoy shopping.  The whole process of it.  But as exciting as the swiping of debit cards is it can't compare to the pure joy that comes from giving a gift.  That thrill is unmatched.  Not to toot my own horn but I give great gifts.  I put time and thought into them.  Maybe that's why I love the "Christmas season" so much.  For a little while, everybody is kind of like me.  Everybody is thinking about somebody to give a gift to.  It's a special thing to get a gift that someone chose especially with you in mind.  It makes you feel loved and cared for.  It forever creates a bond between you and the giver.
    One gift that theDav and I plan to give our kids is the gift of truth.  (And since Jesus said he IS the truth)We plan to teach our children as much about Jesus as we know.  We do know that he was hung on a cross.  We've taught them that.  We do know that he is risen, taught them that too.  We also know that he was born to come to earth and die for our sins, as a GIFT.  Although we know that it probably wasn't in December, we've decided to teach them that Christmas is a day that everybody is reminded of the birth of the Christ.  We teach them to love and obey Christ every day on the calendar.  But this one day is special because even people who are lost are reminded that Jesus is in fact Immanuel!  We've no books on the subject, no new downloaded sermons on the topic.  We aren't even seeking out advice on it anymore.  In a nutshell, we've decided that we are just going to celebrate Christmas the same way we celebrate everything else in life, with Christ as our focus. 
  

1 comment:

  1. You're the bombay baybay. Keep up the great writing, I'm enjoying this...

    ReplyDelete